We understand the danger that comes from downloading software online. Much of what you get is not what they advertise or includes viruses and other things you don't want. Below are links to some software that we have found beneficial, safe and free.
Watch out for the toolbars!
Some of the software here and other places include free toolbars, changing your search engine, new web browsers, etc. They are often selected by default, either when you go to download or while you're going through the install process. Watch for it and be sure to remove that checkmark; you don't want it!
One other hint: if a website with software downloads has a specialty installer (e.g. CNET), do NOT use the installer -- look for a direct link to the software you want. That installer often has a variety of toolbars and other malware.
- OpenOffice.Org: all the most needed features of Microsoft Office for free
- Microsoft Word Viewer: When all you want to do is view a document someone sent you
- Microsoft Excel Viewer: When all you want to do is view a spreadsheet someone sent you
- Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer: When all you want to do is view a PowerPoint presentation someone sent you
- File Converter to open MS-Office 2007/2010/2013 documents in older versions of MS-Office
- CutePDF: create PDF files from any program
- Adobe Acrobat Reader: To view PDF documents, commonly used online.
- Skype: The most popular way for audio or video chat anywhere in the world
- Flash Player: Flash is commonly found in many websites. It's probably installed on your computer, but click here if it isn't
- FileZilla: Free FTP Program
- CDex: Converts audio CDs to MP3, as well as converting to different audio formats
- Audacity: Audio editor/recorder
- Paint.NET: Excellent photo program!
- IrfanView: Graphics viewer and converter
- K-Lite Codecs: Enables you to play all kinds of different video formats
- AVS Media Player: DVD player
Want to waste some time with free (and safe) games?
We strongly discourage any illegal music downloading and peer-to-peer file sharing programs. Besides the illegal nature of the practice, the damage to your computer can be extensive. You'll know it's illegal if copyrighted songs can be downloaded for free. Legitimate music can be downloaded for a monthly or per-song fee from numerous online services.